Every Sunday, One Green Planet brings you the week’s top news. For those who don’t have a lot of time to look through the news each day, this will be a great resource and an easy way to catch up!
Here you’ll find different categories of news and links to each article published during the week! Enjoy!
Animal Rights and Welfare News
As always, we had a ton of news to cover in the world of animal rights and welfare. This week we saw happy and hopeful stories, as well as some grim and depressing ones. Some of the more notable stories included:
- Federal Judge Rules USDA Acted Unlawfully: Huge Win for Harvard Animal Law Clinic in Psychological Well-Being of Primates Case
- Newly Adopted Rescue Dog Holds New Pawrent’s Hand “Whole Way Home” From Shelter
- How Neuty, a 22-Pound Rodent Became a Local Celebrity and Sparked a Call for Environmental Responsibility
- Activists Score a Win for Animals in Factory Farming Court Battles
- Rescue Teams Save 17 Farm Animals Trapped in Mud After California Storm
- Alert Issued in Kent After String of Cats Shaved in Disturbing Attacks
- Wolverine Spotted on the Prowl in Oregon: A Rare Sighting Ignites Wildlife Enthusiasm
- Animal Rights Activist Raises Questions about Humane Society of New York’s Pet Adoption Process
- ‘You Can’t Make This Up!’: Reddit User Explains Taurine Gets Added To Cat Food
- Dog Goes Viral For Crashing a High School Track Meet
- The Real Story Behind John Wick’s Puppy: Where is He Now?
- Goblin Shark or Toy Figurine? Scientists Retract Rare Shark Sighting in Mediterranean Sea
- Video of Dog Attempting to Escape Through Fence Sends Internet into Hysterics
- RSPCA Raises Concerns Over Gene Editing of Pets Under New English Law
- Scientists Create 3D-Printed Vegan Nose for Surgery
- PETA Condemns Horse Death on The Lord of the Rings Tragedy and Calls for Humane Practices in Entertainment
- Dog and Cat Decide to Co-Raise Kittens Together
- This Hilarious Golden Retriever Retrieves All the Things He Isn’t Supposed to
- Dog Goes Viral for Casually Using Treadmill at Gym with Their Pawrent
- Sanctions Imposed on Mexico Over Inadequate Protection of Endangered Vaquita Porpoises
- Russian Influencer Hasbulla Faces Backlash After Video Surfaces of Him Abusing Pet Cat
- Remembering Paul O’Grady: A Trailblazer, Champion for the Underdog, and Devoted Animal Lover
- Dog Discovering Sun Roof Goes Viral on TikTok
Earth and Environmental News
Source: Fred Young/Shutterstock
There were numerous stories about the environment this week which gave us hope for the future and reminded us how far we still have to go. Some of the more memorable stories included:
- Allbirds Debuts First-Ever Net-Zero Sneaker: Mo.oNSHOT
- How The Meat Industry Blocked the IPCC’s Attempt to Recommend a Plant-Based Diet
- EU Makes Bold Move to Zero Emissions: All New Cars Sold Must be Green by 2035
- Beijing Blanketed in Sandstorm as Air Pollution Soars Off the Charts
- Senior Activists in Rocking Chairs Block Entrances to Four Largest US Banks to Fight Climate Change
- Water Works Wonders: Desert X Art Exhibition Reflects on Ecology in Coachella Valley
- TikTok Takes a Stand Against Climate Misinformation and Promotes Safety with Updated Community Guidelines
- Visualizing the Climate Crisis: Minerva Cuevas’ Artistic Approach to Holding Companies Responsible
- Study Finds Link Between Road Traffic Noise and High Blood Pressure
- Breaking the Climate Silence: How to Talk to Your Friends and Family About the IPCC Report
- Katie Holmes Rocks Eco-Friendly Sneakers While Strolling in NYC
- Montana Youths Take on Climate Change in Landmark Lawsuit: Fighting for a Clean and Healthy Future
- Woolrich Unveils Eco-Friendly Arctic Parka Made with Plant-Based Fibers
- Matador Production Company Takes Responsibility for Unlawful Air Pollution in New Mexico
- Sprouts Farmers Market Commits to Plastic-Free Future by 2023
- Chemists Develop Iridescent Plant-Based Film to Revolutionize Energy Efficiency in Buildings
- Hawaiian Airlines Pledges to Buy 50M Gallons of Sustainable Fuel Made From Corn to Reduce Carbon Footprint
Plant-Based Food and Health News
Source: Lilly Trott/Shutterstock
This week in food news, we had quite a few exciting stories!
- Plant Power: How Eating 30 Plants a Week Can Boost Your Gut Health
- Ital Kitchen BK: A Look Into the Jamaican Plant-Based Oasis of Crown Heights, Brooklyn
- 5 Cities Honored for Their Impactful Public Health Achievements at Global Summit
- Game-Changing Shelf-Stable Plant-Based Sea Scallops
- Study Finds Plastics Pose Wide-Ranging Health Risks, Calls for Urgent Action
- Daddy’s Vegan Wangz and Rangz: Party Like It’s 1990 with Portland’s Glittery Vegan Smash Burger and Wings Pop-Up
- The Links Between Pollution and Miscarriage: What You Need to Know
Solution Not Pollution Sweatshirt by Tiny Rescue: Climate Collection
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster , the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks .
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter !
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!