Winter is such a wonderful time of year: the twinkling lights, the seasonal flavors, the cheesy holiday films, the romance of watching snow fall languidly over the city from your window. It’s all great––that is until you forget your gloves or you step in a puddle of melted snow and have to walk around the whole day with a wet sock or drama ensues over the holiday menu. But don’t worry, one thing that can always turn around an unfortunate day is vegan comfort food! Cashew cheese, coconut curry, creamy pasta––yum! Winter is the perfect time to cozy up with a warm soup no matter what kind of day it is. While you can’t count on it always being the perfect, cinematic winter day, you can count on these vegan comfort food recipes to always be delicious. They will make you feel amazing and satisfied!
Check out these 15 vegan comfort food recipes from our Food Monster App ––they’re so amazing!
1. Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew
Source: Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew
Here is a savory and satisfying, protein-packed vegan stew to add to your recipe book! Cinnamon, cumin, ginger, crushed red pepper flakes blended with a creamy peanut sauce…This Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew by Crissy Cavanaugh is chock full of antioxidant-rich sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, and spinach! Chickpeas were added for protein to provide a perfectly balanced meal. Serve alone or on top of steamed brown basmati rice.
2. Green Bean Mushroom Casserole
Source: Green Bean Mushroom Casserole
An awesome dish if prepared correctly! The most important thing when preparing this dish is not to overcook the beans. They tend to lose their beautiful green color and get brown and mushy when overcooked. To add more texture, try topping the casserole with caramelized onions mixed with sesame seeds and chopped cashews. Try this Green Bean Mushroom Casserole by Mitra Shirmohammadi ––it’s amazing!
3. Green Thai Curry Bowls
Source: Green Thai Curry Bowls
4. Arancini: Fried Risotto Balls
Arancini: Fried Risotto Balls
More famously known as Arancini , these fried risotto balls by Kristen Genton are a magical food that everyone needs to make at least once in their life! They are quite time-consuming, but it’s well worth the effort.
5. Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
Source: Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
Delicious Lentil Shepherd’s Pie by James Wythe is perfect for this time of the year! It’s incredibly easy to make and trust me this will be a massive hit with family and friends. This Lentil Shepherd’s pie really gives you that comforting feel you want from a simple healthy dinner during the colder months.
6. Lasagna Soup with Cashew Cream
Source: Lasagna Soup with Cashew Cream
If you love fresh vegan recipes and all things soup, you’re going to be head over heels for this vegan Lasagna Soup with Cashew Cream by Gabrielle St. Claire !! Creating a lasagna for the holidays can take long and the lasagna usually loses its quality within days. Soups on the other hand are typically easy, more nutrient dense, and taste just as good, if not better, days after you make it because the flavors marry more. What’s fab about this vegan lasagna soup, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, and features staple ingredients. The tomatoes, rich cashew cream sauce, and a hint of spice perfectly mirrors the traditional. Such a perfect recipe for the winter months, as it can easily be made in bulk!
7. Creamy Almond Mac n’ Cheese
Source: Creamy Almond Mac n’ Cheese
This Creamy Almond Mac n’ Cheese by Lenny Wu is a healthy twist on one of the most classic comfort foods! It’s quite simple to make, too! Just boil the veggies and blend them with almonds, miso paste, seasonings, and plant-based milk! Pour it over your pasta of choice and you’re good to go! This almond mac n’ cheese is absolutely delicious and so flavorful. It will impress vegans and non-vegans alike!
8. Creamy Mushroom Hand Pies
Source: Creamy Mushroom Hand Pies
Great as an appetizer at a party or as a lunch you can grab on the go, these Creamy Mushroom Hand Pies by Trine Rask are absolutely delicious. A creamy, garlicky mushroom filling is sealed within a flaky puff pastry pie crust. The best thing about these little hand pies, other than their portability, is that once you perfect the art of making them you can try them with different types of fillings like tofu scramble for breakfast or fruit for dessert.
9. Roasted Tomato Coconut Soup
Source: Roasted Tomato Coconut Soup
10. Mushroom and Herb Pasta
Source: Mushroom and Herb Pasta
This creamy Mushroom and Herb Pasta by Hayley Canning makes a quick and delicious dinner or lunch. Packed full of flavor and so rich and creamy. It’s an easy way to get in a serving of greens. Hearty, filling and satisfying this is total comfort food and will satisfy your creamy pasta cravings.
11. Veggie Stew with Dumplings
Source: Veggie Stew with Dumplings
This Veggie Stew with Dumplings recipe by Fraiche Food, Jillian Harris & Tori Wesszer will keep you warm throughout the chilly season! This stew is not only delicious, but the addition of the vegan butter at the end softens the flavor. The dumplings will expand, so do not be tempted to make them bigger than the suggested size.
12. Tortillas Enchilada Casserole
Source: Tortillas Enchilada Casserole
This Tortillas Enchilada Casserole recipe by The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook, Jenn Sebestyen will become your favorite recipe! It combines of the savory, smoky enchilada sauce and subtly sweet dressing and is loaded with healthy veggies and filling beans. And the kids love it, too!
13. Miso Ramen Bowl With Tellicherry Black Pepper Tofu
What do you do if you’re craving something that is rich and bursts with umami? Make this vegan M iso Ramen Bowl With Tellicherry Black Pepper Tofu by Anett Velsberg ! The combination of miso, dried shiitakes and a tiny amount of soy milk does the trick. Plus, the Tellicherry black pepper tofu gives it a nice kick. Complete with miso-glazed bok choy and sautéed shimeij mushrooms, this vegan ramen will have you wanting more before you’ve even slurped the last noodle.
14. Squash Risotto with Fried Sage
Source: Squash Risotto with Fried Sage
Risotto is the food equivalent of a hug in a bowl, and this squash risotto takes comfort food to a new level. Roasting the squash brings out its natural sweetness; if you don’t feel like dealing with the hassle of peeling the acorn squash (those ridges can be such a pain in the you know what), simply replace it with more butternut squash, which has a sweeter flavor. We love the color and contrast of using both, but the choice is yours. This Squash Risotto with Fried Sage by Fraiche Food, Jillian Harris & Tori Wesszer takes time to make, so pour yourself a glass of good wine, turn on some chill music, and warm up your stirring arm!
15. Creamy Chana Masala
Source: Creamy Chana Masala
If you loved these vegan comfort food recipes, make sure to check out 15 Comforting Recipes You Can Make in Your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker! , 20 Comfort Food Recipes to Warm Your Heart and Feed Your Soul , and 15 Comforting Meatless and Dairy-Free Soul Food Recipes !
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation , heart health , mental wellbeing , fitness goals , nutritional needs , allergies , gut health , and more ! Unfortunately, dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne , hormonal imbalance , cancer , prostate cancer , and has many side effects .
For those interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend purchasing one of our many plant-based cookbooks or downloading the Food Monster App which has thousands of delicious recipes making it the largest vegan recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet .
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster , the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks .
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter !
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!