Unfortunately, the world is not a very peaceful or safe place for many individuals. From conflict to abuse to exploitation, there is so much cruelty inflicted on both humans and animals. While this can get disheartening and difficult to hear about, petitions are a great way to use your voice for good. Just by signing one, you are a part of helping those who are not treated fairly. You can even share them with your friends and acquaintances to increase your impact.
Through petitions, we can reach those in power and demand justice for others. They are valuable tools for making positive changes in the world. If you are looking for a way to help animals and humans, here are 10 petitions you should sign this week, including Urge French Authorities to Enforce Bans on Ortolan Bunting Hunting, Ask California to End Cash Bail, Urge Congress to Implement Limits on Greenhouse Gas Emissions, and More!
We want to thank you for being the change you wish to see in the world and giving a voice to the voiceless.
1. Urge French Authorities to Enforce Bans on Ortolan Bunting Hunting
In France, a migratory songbird called the Ortolan bunting is at risk of extinction. One of the reasons for this is a ritual in which the birds are captured, fattened in cages, drowned, and eaten whole. French restaurants are prohibited from serving this bird, but around 30,000 are still being hunted annually during their migration period. Please sign this petition to urge authorities to enforce bans on Ortolan bunting hunting!
2. Support Senior Renter Who is Being Harassed by Landlord
Source: News 12/YouTube
Francis Roberts is a 77-year-old man who has lived in his New York City apartment for more than 20 years. Roberts pays $450 a month to stay in his apartment and he believes that his landlord is using some devious tactics to push him out so that he can raise the rent. Some of the tactics include playing loud music all day, placing toilets outside of his bedroom window, and allegedly having an associate harass Mr. Roberts and call him a racial slur. Please sign this petition to ask that the NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development take these housing violation claims seriously!
3. Tell City Attorney to Relieve Women on Probation for Helping Stray Cats
Source: CBS Evening News/YouTube
Two senior women from Alabama were shocked when they found out that they were being arrested for feeding and neutering stray cats. The women aren’t likely to spend any time in jail, but they will still have to deal with probation requirements and fines for wanting to help homeless animals . Please sign this petition to ask the City Attorney to relieve these women of probation and help the community establish a formal spay and neuter program!
4. Demand That the Attorney General of Alabama be Removed from His Position
Source: David Pakman Show/YouTube
Alabama is one of several states that issued abortion restrictions in the aftermath of Roe v. Wade being overturned. On top of this, the Attorney General of the state recently declared that people who use abortion pills can be prosecuted. Not only will abortion providers be prosecuted but now pregnant women are under threat as well. Please sign this petition to demand that the Attorney General of Alabama be removed by the Alabama Senate!
5. Ask California to End Cash Bail
Source: NowThis News/YouTube
Illinois recently became the first state to eliminate cash bail. Cash bail doesn’t keep our communities safe because it incentivizes people to plead guilty who can’t pay bail and creates economic hardship. California almost eliminated this harmful practice in the past, but the bail-bonding industry used its immense resources to fight against it. Please sign this petition to tell California to end cash bail once and for all!
6. Call on the U.S. Government to Stop Polluting Communities of Color
People of color often suffer the worst health effects from pollution because they live in areas that are more heavily polluted. Zoning officials have strategically put power plants in these areas, which have negatively impacted Black and Brown Americans for generations. It’s time our government does something to fix this massive environmental health problem. Please sign this petition to urge the U.S. government to clean up the pollution in these neighborhoods!
7. Urge Logan Paul to Donate to Help Rescued Animals
Source: Tea Spill/YouTube
Four years ago, Logan Paul bought a pig from a breeder. He would often share photos of the pig on social media but around two years ago that stopped when he decided to rehome her. Recently, animal rescuers found the pig, Pearl, abandoned at a farm lying next to a dead pig. She was dealing with a uterine infection that almost killed her and had wounds all over her body. Please sign this petition to urge Logan Paul to donate to help rescued animals!
8. Tell James Cameron to Publicly Apologize for Dolphin Event Promoting Avatar 2
Source: LOWKEY GEEK!/YouTube
An event in Japan that was meant to promote Avatar 2 featured a live dolphin show. Given the movie highlights the intelligence and emotional capacity of sea creatures, this seemed rather hypocritical. Japan is one of the few countries that still capture dolphins, sell them into captivity, and slaughter them. James Cameron stated in an email that he didn’t know the show would take place, but more needs to be done. Please sign this petition to urge Cameron to make a public statement condemning the event and for the facility to release its dolphins to a sanctuary or the wild!
9. Pressure The Barcelo Riviera Maya Hotel to Shut Down Its Dolphinarium
The Barcelo Riviera Maya Hotel in Mexico has a tiny and shallow dolphinarium that houses five adult males. The swimming pool at the hotel is even larger than the tank, plus the dolphins have no shade to protect against the sun and are exposed to chemicals in the water. Many of the dolphins suffer from blindness because of this. The dolphins also have to defecate in this tiny tank, which leads to other illnesses. On top of all that, the dolphins can’t escape each other if one of them attacks, which led to the death of one dolphin after the hotel was hosting a music festival for several days. Please sign this petition to pressure The Barcelo Riviera Maya Hotel to shut down this dolphinarium for good!
10. Urge Congress to Implement Limits on Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Source: NOVA PBS Official/YouTube
Late last year, Congress passed legislation that would help protect coral reefs, marine life, and ecosystems from climate change. The funding will go toward finding the causes of ocean degradation and conservation efforts. However, given that more than half of coral reefs may be threatened in the next twelve years, something needs to be done now. Please sign this petition to urge Congress to implement limits on greenhouse gas emissions immediately!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster , the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks .
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter !
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in typical household and personal care products!