First, chef stresses the importance of picking the correct firmness of tofu to use depending on the recipe. Soft tofu is best for making desserts and sauces because of its soft, creamy texture. Firm tofu on the other hand holds its shape better and is easier to work with. It is best for dishes like tofu “steak” because it won’t break apart as easily as soft tofu .
Second, chef suggests pressing the tofu to remove excess moisture before cooking. The water will prevent the tofu from absorbing the flavors of the other ingredients, and it will also prevent it from cooking properly and getting crispy .
If you decide to use a marinade or dry spice rub, always pan fry the tofu with a touch of oil or bake in the oven for best results. These methods of cooking allow the tofu to get nice ad crispy and absorb all that delicious flavor.
Lastly, chef recommends serving tofu with a light, flavorful sauce so that it can soak up all the wonderful flavors and spices!
To further perfect your tofu cooking skills, check out these 15 Plant-Based Crispy Tofu Recipes !
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster , the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks .
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter !
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!